Welcome to Brett and Emily´s travel blog.

I promise I will finish updating soon...7 more post to do!

July 13, 2010: Banos updated (pics soon)

June 23,2010: Lima and Mancura are finished (in reality Mancura was already finished but I wanted to post them in order so I need to finish Lima) with pics

June 22, 2010: I know, I know...I have been home for a month and a have a lot to update from South America. Well the Amazon was updated today with pictures!

Friday, February 12, 2010

First few days in Florianopolis (pre-Carnaval)

So Emily and I have been enjoying the past few days on the island of Santa Cantarina continueing to be lazy beach bums, going to some natural ocean pools, watching beach soccer, and surfing.  It has been a bit rainy here the last few days which really seems to put no hamper on people's willingness or ability to still go to the beach.  As even though it was either drizzling or downpouring all day yesterday, their were plenty of people out on the beach and surfing. 

A highlight of some time in the hostel though last night was that on the TV in the Hostel Bar was ESPN which was showing the Minnesota vs. Michigan Basketball game last night.  So Emily and I watched (mainly I watched) but we got to see the likes of Goldy the Gopher!!!  And also a great panning shot of the Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis. 


Photo I took of the TV with the Minnesota symbol at The Barn (Brazilian Flag to the left)

I would like to make a comment about the wonderful snowful the East Coast has received so far this week.  I know it might sound a little mean by saying this but I am mad jealous.  I know I should be enjoying the beaches down here (and don't worry I am) but I do miss the snow.  I haven't had a true winter in like three years and would love to see a great snowfall (espicially 36"+ ).  Which when some Canadians even saw my father's photos from NJ they were in shock about the amount of snow.

Well in reality I have little to say, ust some great photos to share so here we go...

So we will start with pictures from the porch of our hostel, which is about 100 meters from the beach and overlooks a canal...
View from the hostel

View at night from the hostel.  Of the beach soccer field which is packed with fans to watch two nightly games everyday full with fights and great goals.


Cool small little beach 2 minutes from our hostel, a great place to hang out at night (they also hold night parties here but we haven't seen one yet)

We went to some great rock formations with an ocean swimming pool...

The rocks

Emily climbing through some of the rocks

A huge wave came in and almost washed me out to sea

The highlight of the trip so far...SURFING LESSONS for Brett (I'll spare the world the photos of me falling off the board, however Emily did get some good shots).  Emily because she already had two surf lessons in Australia decided to just rent a board (she wasn't so succesful).

Surfs Up Dude (I originally put on the wet suit backwords , which I after fixing it found it more comfortable the wrong way)

Brett riding the waves...

I'm pretty sure I whitewashed shortly after this photo

Emily after surinf with her board (I got no photos of her because she was surfing during my lesson, according to her there wasn't many pictures to take though)

Like I said not much else.  The first night of parades are tonight so Emily and I are going to head in to town to see them, followed by some street parties in Florianopolis and then back to our village from some beach parties.

Love,
Brett and Em

2 comments:

  1. brett as a surfer = best picture ever taken of him. amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hihihihihi it's kristin! hi emily! i figured out how to comment! HI HI HI HI HI HI HI HI HI HI HI HI congragulations, timber says HI HI HI HI woof peantubutter hi, and hi brett!


    mommy says elope

    ReplyDelete